Monday, May 7, 2012

Red Lobster Date Night = Morning After Pies

So I baked for auction again - and yesterday, I baked a new pie.  Ozark Mountain Pie. OMG!  AKA Morning After Pie (read on)...

Doesn't this look delish?!

The filling is DELICIOUS!  I'm totally baking one for US to eat - and my husband totally deserves his own pie, because he took me to Red Lobster for dinner Saturday night! OMG!! I had the rainbow trout! He said "Happy Mother's Day" and it was our first real "date night" in like 3 years?!  We had ZERO - count that - ZERO kids! Three hours, just me and E, and no kids!  We shopped in my favorite store - The Kitchen Gadget Store. OK, I totally don't know the REAL name of the store, I just call it The Kitchen Gadget Store LOL.  We bought new round cookie cutters in various sizes for my Apple Pie Cookies and a new wooden spoon.  I absolutely ADORE my wooden spoon collection!  On our way out,  I noticed a fantabulous marble rolling pin - so definitely, we're going back!  Then he took me shopping at Dunkins Diamonds and Gold....and well, that's a post for another day ;)

Anyway, back to the pies! A few days ago we hit a yard sale and I found a HUGE and heavy 3 ring bound cookbook. Lots and lots of recipes! I'm a sucker for a kickingly awesome cookbook, especially after I scoped out the pie and cookie sections!  So my sweet, sweet husband doled out a couple bucks and I tucked that cookbook under my arm and booked it for the car.

First pie I've tried out of the pie section - Ozark Mountain Pie.  It is LOADED with berries! I MEAN LOADED!  Strawberries, Blueberries, Blackberries, and Red Raspberries!  I cooked the filling on the stove top, smelling and loving it!  Berry pies are always a huge hit in our house, and at the sale!

Tell me that doesn't make your mouth water?

I made a few other berry pies yesterday as well - Triple Berry, Blackberry, and two Pecan pies! 

Now I need to go milk that goat, but I'm sure the rest of ya'll are now feeling the urge to bake a pie!

Ozark Mountain Berry Pie
1 c sugar
1/4 c corn starch
dash of salt
1 c blueberries
1 c sliced strawberries
3/4 c blackberries
3/4 c red raspberries
1/2 c water
2 tbls lemon juice
pasry for double crust pie  (9 inches)
2 tbls butter

You going to combine sugar, cornstarch, and salt in a saucepan.  Mix in your berries. Add water and lemon juice and cook over a medium heat JUST until it comes to a boil.

Line your 9 inch pie plate with the bottom crust.  I usually do this BEFORE I make the filling, and I get the edges all trimmed up nice and neat.  Pour your berry filling into the crust. Dot with butter. Now here's where you have a couple choices, you can either work the remaining dough into some crazy designed lattice work, or take the easy way and just put a whole crust over the top, cut some slits in it or use a small cookie cutter to cut out some shapes before placing and sealing the crust. Pop it into your 350 oven for 45 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown.  I bake my berry pies on a cookie sheet, and they do tend to bubble up and flow like molten lava, and a cookie sheet is way easier to clean up than an oven!

Cool this on a wire rack.  Store in the refridgerator, or if you're like me, cut a slice as soon as it's cool enough to the touch but not cold, and serve in a bowl with fresh milk poured on top!  Or a dollop of cream, or ice cream!

Yields 8 servings (if you share).


2 comments:

  1. Oh my!! That looks delish!!! I am going to HAVE to make one of those...soon!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OOoo, That looks amazing.
    *runs to get berries out of freezer*
    Thanks Aly

    ReplyDelete