Sunday, September 22, 2013

Just When I Thought I Couldn't Wow Myself........

To quote a certain pop star, "Oops I did it again!" 

Warning: These are NOT Low Carb.  They are 100% death defyingly filled with sugar.  Dangerous for LC'ers

I've been on this journey to a low carb lifestyle, and most days I do ok with it.  I'm still learning what is and is not OK to eat.

I can tell you right off, sugar = bad.  So eating LC kind of completely contradicts running a bakery from my home, but that's where I am at.  I'm working on cutting all/most sugar from my own diet, while I make a living creating diabetics.

Lovely.

So in the midst of my struggles with guilt, as I whip out one tasty but oh so not good for you treat after another, I decided to test out another new recipe for whoopie pies.  

And it is at this point I must tell you that there is a local grocery called Beuhler's that has the best gourmet muffins.  I am a total sucker for their larger than life Lemon Poppy Seed muffins.  Anytime I'm in there I find myself steering my cart directly to the bakery department and I'm cruising around their display's for those Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins.  They are just moist enough, tops dipped in a lemony glaze, and overloaded in poppy seeds.  If my friend B is with me, for the most part, she does a good job of keeping me away from those lemony mouthfuls of death.

Today, I created my own lemony mouthful of death. Lemon Poppy Seed Whoopie Pies. 

Eat at your own risk...
I was dubious, wasn't sure they could live up to the hype of their muffin cousins, but boy was I wrong.

I think most people who know me or have me on FB know I have a slight obsession with pinterest, and that is where I found a picture of Lemon Poppy Seed Whoopie pies.  Sadly, since the photo no longer connects to the webpage for the recipe, I kept getting the following:

There's nothing here.

Whatever you were looking for doesn't currently exist at this address. Unless you were looking for this error page, in which case: Congrats! You totally found it.

Which completely cracked me up because I totally read that in my friend Kelly's voice, the one she uses for special moments that call for extreme sarcasm. 

So thanks to the search function I was able to seek out a recipe that I was happy with.  You can find that recipe here.   

I had decided that Sunday's will be my "cheat" day.  The day I will allow myself to sample of the tasty treats coming from my own kitchen.  I figured one small sampling will not hurt.  My friend L cautioned me that as long as it doesn't send me into a carb eating binge that last's for days, to go for it.
So I did.  And too bad for me, but it turns out this is the one treat I will not be allowed to have, because it could easily send me into that binge eating.  

So that translates into they are absolutely fantastic!  They are way better than I had imagined they would be, and I am definitely going to have to play around with some coconut and almond flour and natural sweeteners to make this recipe low carb friendly!



1 comment: