Wednesday, February 17, 2016

ADD Remodeling

So when we made the move to Florida we purposely looked for a fixer upper. I'm obsessed with DIY stuff, and really a total home remodel is the ultimate DIY project.

And sometimes all that DIY stuff isn't the way to go, but we're neck deep in it now, so there's no going back! Thankfully I have this awesome husband that's in to it, too, and he's sooo patient with my ideas, projects, and total derailments.  If we did things my way 100%, nothing would get done because it would totally look like someone with ADD remodeled the place. LOL

And no, I don't have ADD, I just get sooo excited for the next part, I can barely wait until we're finished with what we're working on. So while we're laying new subfloors, my mind is already moved ahead to cabinets, counters, and what light fixtures will we be putting up - but we're totally not ready for any of that yet. So to keep me happy, we call it "research" and "price comparing" or "data gathering".

Remember in school and those dang diagrams you had to make for language arts - the brainstorming ones? That's pretty much what I'm doing every day, all day. I go to work, I'm thinking about the house. I get home, I'm on pinterest pulling ideas for the house.  Then I fall into craft ideas, DIY furniture, etc and I'm off again with some half baked idea of what we could do.

Excitement. That's all.

So to keep myself in check, we find little DIY/crafty projects that I can take on mostly on my own. (Mostly because sometimes I require help operating saws.  Sometimes I pretend like I need help because it's more fun working together on a project.)

So, an example of what keeps me happy...the coffee wall space.  It's cute, but the wall it's on will eventually be ripped out, so it's super temporary.  But it was a fun couple hours project E and I completed together on one of my days off.


I will forever be grateful for pushing to move ALL of our extra/surplus cans of paint with us. Due to that decision, we've painted nearly every room of the house without having to buy paint. By using the paint we had left over, we have saved a ton of money on walls we'll be ripping out and hanging new dry wall on later. Meanwhile, we were able to give all of the walls a much needed refresher.

Here's a before and after of the fireplace corner of our front room.

Before


After

I scrubbed all of the walls and painted them a light blue in the living area.
Before

After
So that's the first things we did to the house to make it more homey. We didn't go full into remodel until just a few weeks ago. We've started in the laundry/kitchen area and are working our way from one area to another. Just because I like some things to be nice, I've played with the decorating, etc.
More to come in a few days.


3 comments:

  1. We are remodeling too- have already replaced kitchen vinyl with laminate flooring and are about to gut and rebuild/redesign the bath. I am like you.....looking at everything so when we get to the next step, I'm ready with details. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have the laminate flooring I want picked out, but we have a lot to get done before we're ready for new flooring!
      I definitely like having the details for the next step ready!

      Delete
  2. We are remodeling too- have already replaced kitchen vinyl with laminate flooring and are about to gut and rebuild/redesign the bath. I am like you.....looking at everything so when we get to the next step, I'm ready with details. :D

    ReplyDelete