Friday, June 29, 2012

Not a Pie Post...but Vinegar Rolls from pie crust....

Again it's been awhile since I've blogged.  Life just gets busy, you know?  A fast update on FB seems to be my fly by night pattern of late. :) 

But yesterday, I made something blog worthy.  Plus, my friend Pannie, who is also a dear sweet member of my family, asked if I was going to blog about the nine pies I baked yesterday.

Yes, it was 90+ degrees out.  Yes,  I baked nine pies. No, I am not insane.  :)

Sure, I could talk about those 9 pies, and the delicious, flaky crust that we make.  Truth is, I don't want to.

Why?   Well, because there are some things that just need to stay - well, untold.   Like how I make my pie crusts. :)  Or, to be more truthful, how my 13 yr DD makes the crust.  I taught her how to mix just the right amount of ingredients to create, what we feel is anyway, a perfect crust. 

So if now you're hankering for a pie, I can tell you the easiest, simplest way - wander down the dairy aisle and find some pre-made dough in the cooler section or sometimes in the freezer section.  I don't REALLY recommend this, as it doesn't compare to a truly made from scratch crust, but for now, that's the only crust help/hints you're getting from me. :)

But, if like me, you already make your crusts from scratch, then you may end up with left over trims from assembling those 9 pies.  

This pic is decieving...it was A LOT of left over pie crust.


Now, some people would maybe throw that left over pie crust out, but it seems like such a waste.  A quick phone  call to my mom, and I had the makings for a delicious treat that I remember eating on special occassions as a kid.

And it totally warrants creating pie crust JUST for this treat!  Or, at the very least, store crust?

First, in a sauce pan, you are going to combine 1 cup of sugar, 1 cup of Apple Cider Vinegar, and 1-2 cups of water, depending on how strong you want the vinegar to be.

Let this cook over a medium/low heat. Meanwhile....

Roll out your extra crust.  I had to divide my left overs into 3 separate sections to roll it out (which means left overs were probably enough for more pies....but I was out of pie pans...)

Dot with butter.....

Sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar and flour..



Next, roll it up! (you totally knew that was coming, right?!)

Cut into slices - I like thick rolls, so I cut mine a bit on the thick side, but you can make them thinner. Whatever floats your roll desires! :)

Now, my mom said to use 2 round cake pans...wouldn't you know, this gal who bakes a lot, doesn't own 2 round cake pans?!  I thought I had at least ONE round cake pan, but we searched high and low and couldn't find it.  I used this heart shaped pan....

After you get as many rolls as you can fit in your pan, remove your sauce mix that's been cooking down, and carefully pour over the top of the rolls.

Pop them in a 350 degree oven and bake until Golden brown, or to desired doneness. I think I baked mine for about 20-25 minutes. My husband said they were a little "under cooked" for his liking, but he still ate two or three. ;)  I thought they came out perfect!


So there ya have it, Vinegar Rolls!  I do believe my mom made these for our breakfast every year on either Thanksgiving or Christmas, or maybe both.  I just remember they were delicious, and tart and made for a great breakfast!

Now that you know what to do with that extra pie crust, I'm off to start yet another day of baking....today, cookies!

No comments:

Post a Comment