Thursday, August 9, 2012

Cleaning House

That's what we've spent today doing.  Cleaning house.  In fourteen years of marriage, 13 years of being parents, you can accumulate a lot of....well, junk. 

Saying "a lot" is, frankly, an understatement.  My kitchen is so small, that the contents (read that as baking accessories) tend to creep into the rest of the house - hence why when I sat on my couch earlier, I landed on my new round cookie cutters.  Not cool.

So while we were cleaning - and I mean as in washing down the walls, sweeping and mopping kind of cleaning - I issued pink slips to items we don't need/don't use anymore.  Like 2 super small skillets that would never be big enough to cook a meal large enough to feed our army sized family. 

The bathroom cabinet tends to get ignored alot.  Kind of a toss and go kind of thing. Kids think "hey, it's put up, so..." and I'm bad about not making sure things are put away neatly if we're rushing to get somewhere (like we're pushing being late for DD's cross country training now, but we're hoping it's cancelled with the storm rolling in) or if I'm in the midst of something else...like cooking dinner.

I opened the bathroom cabinet...and oh the horror!! 

I mean, who lets the space under a bathroom sink get that unorganized?!  (A busy farming mom of 6 who spends her day's between goat wrangling/kid chasing/honey straining/baking/etc that's who!)

I spent all of 15 minutes sorting, organizing, rearranging, and tossing things we probably should have tossed some time ago, and wiping down (ok sterilizing) the inside of the cabinet.

15 minutes, and it looked like this...


All the while I was thinking about how I'd let my own spirit get cluttered up.  With worry, with things of the world, politics, religious views, and other "junk".   Then I thought, if I was able to clean this up, organize it, remove the junk, etc. just imagine what God accomplishes in 15 minutes. 

15 minutes spent in prayer. In reading the Bible. In quiet fellowship. 15 minutes. A spirit can be decluttered, renewed, refreshed. Cleaned.

Psalm 51:10  Create in me a pure heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me.


No comments:

Post a Comment